Jennifer Grey earned the first perfect scores for season 11 on “Dancing With the Stars” and continues to wow the judges and the viewers. So, why is America so in love with the “Dirty Dancing” star? Here are the top 10 reasons to love Jennifer Grey on this season of “Dancing With the Stars.”
1. Overcame health scare. Prior to her appearance on “Dancing With the Stars,” Jennifer Grey went through a physical examination to determine if she was fit enough to compete on the physically demanding show. In addition, Grey saw a doctor to address chronic neck problems caused by a serious car accident years before. Her spinal cord was compressed and her surgeon said, “Her spine was actually and literally falling off.” Grey faced the possibility of being paralyzed if she fell during rehearsals. Surgeon Robert S. Bray placed a titanium plate in her neck to stabilize her spinal cord, but also advised Grey to see another doctor about a suspicious white spot on her thyroid that he detected on her MRI. Grey had believed the spot to be a benign nodule, but it was cancerous and was removed. Grey told ABC’s “Good Morning America” she believes the cancer was caught before it metastasized and that she is now cancer-free. She credits “Dancing With the Stars” for saving her life.
2. Competitive spirit. Jennifer grey is fiercely competitive, but not so much with the other competitors on the show. She competes with her own self in order to put her best foot forward. “I just want to be better than I was yesterday,” Grey said during a “Dancing With the Stars” video clip.
3. Chemistry with partner Derek Hough. Professional dancer Derek Hough has appeared on seven seasons of “Dancing With the Stars,” and he has won the competition twice, once with partner Brooke Burke in season 7, plus with Nicole Scherzinger in season 10. Derek and Jennifer seem to have a strong bond this season, with Hough being very supportive. He recently tweeted about Grey, “Jen did a great first day on the Argentine Tango. Very proud.” Jennifer Grey also admires and respects her partner and recently said, “I’m having a blast. Dancing with Derek Hough is pure heaven.”
4. Fabulous at fifty. Jennifer Grey first blasted onto the acting scene when she was 19 and appeared in a Dr. Pepper commercial. Her first big film role was “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” in 1986. Since then, Grey has appeared in numerous film and television roles, but she is best known for portraying Baby in the 1987 hit, “Dirty Dancing.” Jennifer Grey celebrated her 50th birthday back on March 26th, and she is better than ever. On “Dancing With the Stars,” Grey is not only able to compete against much younger stars, but she is leading the pack. You have to love her stamina.
5. No huge ego. Despite her past successes, Jennifer Grey remains humble on “Dancing With the Stars.” This is evident in her appreciation of the positive judges’ comments. She doesn’t expect them, is often surprised by them, and always thanks Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba for their suggestions.
6. Work ethic. Despite the grueling hours of training and the physical stress they put on her body, Jennifer Grey never complains on “Dancing With the Stars.” Her positive attitude is always reflected in her stunning dances week after week. Jennifer Grey knows the name of the game, and isn’t afraid of the daily grind. In fact, she seems to relish in it. She recently tweeted, “How come that every week on Dancing With the Stars, no matter how hard I work, even with a partner like Derek Hough, it seems like we won’t be ready in time?”
7. Motivation. Jennifer Grey’s motivation for appearing and competing on “Dancing With the Stars” was to do so in memory of her dear friend, Patrick Swayze. During her premiere dance, Jennifer Grey broke down with overwhelming emotion when dancing to “These Arms of Mine,” a song from the “Dirty Dancing” soundtrack. Swayze’s wife, Lisa Niemi told EW.com, “Of course, Jennifer is hugely associated with ‘Dirty Dancing,’ and if you think about it – her ballroom dancing again – how could it not remind her of her moment in time that was very important? Jennifer is a very talented and very sensitive individual. It didn’t surprise me that she got so emotional.”
8. Amazing performances. In weeks one and two, Jennifer Grey and Derek were at the top of the leader board. She fell to second place in week three, but bounced back in week four with two perfect tens for her Argentine Tango. There is no denying that Jennifer Grey is incredibly amazing to watch on this season of “Dancing With the Stars.” As her skill level progresses, look for more perfect scores this season.
9. Bravery, in light of on-going pain. Jennifer Grey continues to be a force on “Dancing With the Stars,” despite on-going pain. She suffered through back and foot pains this week, yet came out with the highest rated dance of Acoustic Night. In fact, Grey and Hough performed brilliantly, even going for broke with a series of lifts.
10. No ballroom experience. Because Jennifer Grey appeared in “Dirty Dancing,” everyone assumes she has a ton of past dance experience. “Not so,” says Grey. She had to work very hard to learn all of the steps in “Dirty Dancing,” and hasn’t danced since it was filmed in 1986, more than two decades ago. Plus, ballroom dancing is a completely different animal, according to Grey. However, the actress continues to push past soreness and pain to dazzle on the dance floor. Last night, Jennifer Grey received four 9’s and two perfect 10’s. That’s pretty incredible, no matter how you look at it.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite reality shows and stars.