The Tremont Street subway in Boston was originally privately owned. It became publicly owned on August 12, 1947, when the Metropolitan Transit Authority gained ownership. It became the authority over all transit in Metropolitan Boston. In 1964, the MTA had to expand even farther to meet the needs of the outlying areas. Thus, the MTA became the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority.
In 1964, the new MBTA was able to secure funding for the future commuter rail system, which would bring commuters from outlying counties into Boston on a railway. They also secured funding to “modernize” 10 existing stations. This would mean major changes for the Tremont Street Subway.
Scollay Square and Adams Square were replaced by City Hall and the Government Center in the 1960s. The corresponding stations on the Tremont Street Subway needed to be changed as well. Today, the Tremont St. Subway brings passengers from Park St. to Government Center. It is the heart of the very busy “Green Line” on Boston’s T. The northbound tunnel was rerouted in the 60’s and the southbound tunnel still exists. The Pleasant St. tunnel is closed off, but is still the original. The Pleasant St. Incline has been sealed.