Reported by J.S. Fletcher and Kathy M. Newbern
A cruise for the holidays is a terrific option. As is a cruise anytime, as far as we care concerned. New places, new friends, new cultures — you can also add education, particularly on cruise lines that have lecturers who give passengers a chance to not only see, but also learn.
The Yachts of Seabourn will offer its guests extra holiday cheer with a variety of special guest lecturers and personalities scheduled to appear during the 2010 holiday voyages aboard its fleet of ultra-luxury yachts. The luminaries include award-winning producer, director, writer and cinematographer Rick McKay; explorer and documentary filmmaker Dr. Lawrence Blair; Emmy award-winning television and film director Terry Hughes; history and archaeology professor Paul du Quenoy; British linguist, filmmaker and travel writer Charlotte Shalgosky; television producer Gary Smith; and Latin American and Caribbean specialist Brian Latell.
The guest speakers will bring a wealth of knowledge on topics from history and world affairs to film and television, and share interesting stories and experiences from their travels and careers. They are part of Seabourn’s Dress Circle enrichment program, which provides unique opportunities for guests on Seabourn’s intimate yachts to socialize with and learn from interesting personalities throughout each voyage.
“Not only will our guests be spending their holidays exploring fascinating destinations around the world, but they will also be doing so in the company of stimulating guest speakers and other interesting travelers during their cruise,” said Pamela C. Conover, Seabourn’s President and CEO. “We always want to make the holiday voyages extra special for our guests, and celebrating the holidays with these distinguished experts will certainly provide our guests with a most memorable Seabourn holiday cruise experience,” she added.
Guests sailing on Seabourn’s holiday voyages will celebrate Christmas in a variety of exciting destinations, offering guests opportunities to see how the holiday is celebrated elsewhere. On December 25, Seabourn Pride will be docked in Bangkok, while Seabourn Spirit will spend the day in Bali. Seabourn Sojourn guests will enjoy a truly unique Christmas day as the yacht transits the Panama Canal. Both Seabourn Odyssey and Seabourn Legend will spend the holiday at sea in the Caribbean.
The company will host the following guest speakers during its holiday cruises:
• Seabourn Sojourn, 16-day voyage, Dec. 20, 2010 – Jan. 5, 2011
– Terry Hughes – multiple Emmy-winning director who produced hit television comedies including The Golden Girls, 3rd Rock from the Sun and Friends.
• Seabourn Spirit, 16-day voyage, Dec. 20, 2010 – Jan. 5, 2011
– Lawrence Blair – documentary filmmaker who co-produced the acclaimed BBC/PBS series Ring of Fire, highlighting his 10-year exploration of Indonesia.
– Paul du Quenoy – Historian specializing in Southeast Asian and European history. He is the author of numerous scholarly articles and lectures worldwide on cultural, historical and travel and tourism topics.
• Seabourn Pride, 16-day voyage, Dec. 21, 2010 – Jan. 6, 2011
– Charlotte Shalgosky – British-born linguist, documentary filmmaker, and travel writer, specializing in Asian culture and languages.
– Gary Smith – of the award-winning television production company Smith-Hemion, creating many distinguished American television specials and events.
• Seabourn Odyssey, 16-day voyage, Dec. 19, 2010 – Jan. 4, 2011
– Rick McKay – multiple award-winning producer, director, writer and cinematographer of the hit film Broadway: The Golden Age.
• Seabourn Legend, 14-day voyage, Dec. 23, 2010 – Jan. 6, 2011
– Dr. Brian Latell – an expert on U.S. / Cuban relations who has served as an advisor to previous U.S. presidents. He recently authored After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro’s Regime and Cuba’s Next Leader.
The Yachts of Seabourn is consistently ranked among the world’s top travel choices by professional critics and the discerning readers of prestigious travel publications such as Departures, Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler. Its stylish, distinctive cruising vacations are renowned for:
• Six intimate yachts with just 104 or 225 suites
• Unique itineraries visiting must-see cities and hidden gems where larger ships cannot follow
• Intuitive, gracious service provided by a staff passionate about pleasing our guests
• Spacious all-suite accommodations with sweeping ocean views – many with verandas
• Gourmet dining experiences as fine as the best restaurants anywhere
• Fine wines poured with lunch and dinner and open bars throughout the voyage
Space is still available on Seabourn’s holiday voyages. For more info or to make a reservation, contact a travel agent, call Seabourn at 800-929-9391 or visit www.seabourn.com.
If you enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy:
• Other Stories by JS Fletcher
• Stories by Kathy M. Newbern, Luxury Travel Examiner
International Travel Examiner J.S. Fletcher and spouse, Kathy M. Newbern, report on luxury destinations, spas and cruising around the globe. They are award-winning members of the Society of American Travel Writers and created YourSpaReport.com and YourNovel.com, their personalized romance novel business.