It may not be the most sophisticated Italian cuisine in the world and the Metairie shopping strip might not be the most attractive place for a restaurant, but customers regularly fill Sandro’s Trattoria anyway. To its regulars, the food is good, the restaurant is cozy, the service is friendly, the servings are huge, the menu is extensive and the prices are reasonable.
Throw in a nice bottle of Chianti and what more can they ask for?
What about those few folks who write unkind comments on the Internet? The Sandro regulars say let’em eat somewhere else.
Sandro’s offers 10 dinner specials, including:
- Mussels sauteed with angel hair pasta in a tomato base wine and garlic sauce.
- Osso Bucco di Maile alla Cacciatora, a 20-ounce pork shank cooked in a light broth of garlic, onions and mushrooms
- Fruitadel Mar: Mussels,oysters, shrimp and calamari sauteed with angel hair pasta in a tomato base wine
- Eggplant lasagna. Or ask for the Eggplant parmagian even if its not on the menu.
- Veal (or chicken) marsala, Veal demi glaze, with marsala wine and mushrooms over fettuccini
- Veal (or chicken) Picatta. White wine,lemons and capers over angel hair pasta
The menu includes three angel hair and three fettuccini pastas. Each can be served with:
- Grilled chicken breast, salmon, shrimp or tuna
- Meatballs or Italian sausage
- Fried shrimp or oysters
- Panne veal or pork
- Sauteed spinach, mushrooms or peppers and onions
Elsewhere on the supper menu you’ll find seven antipasti, five salads, several desserts and three soups. Try the tomato basil soup.
Sandro’s is open for lunch and supper Monday through Saturday, with suppers starting at 4 p.m. The restaurant is located at 6601 Veterans Blvd. in Metairie.