Jackson 20 in Old Town Alexandria has always strived to purchase local, sustainably raised, and organic meats and produce whenever possible. One sustainable method of cooking is to utilize the entire animal when making food. Not letting anything go to waste is important if you’re going to purchase a whole hog and that’s just what Executive Chef Dennis Marron and Chef de Cuisine Brian Turowski have done with a new feature dinner called ‘PIG AND PINOT’ WINE DINNER AT JACKSON 20 on September 29.
The dinner, which features a menu comprised of pig, will be expertly paired with Oregon pinot varietals by James Kellar from Roanoke Valley Wines. Oregon pinots have really been making their mark recently as a great contender to the Washington and California state wines. James will pair pinot gris, pinot blanc and three different types of pinot noir with the meal, which will be comprised of seven courses:
- Passed Hors d’oeuvres: Smoked Scallop with Bacon Espuma in Corn Flake Brittle Cup, Pigs in a Blanket, and Mussel and Bacon Bruschetta
Wine pairing: 2007 Montinore Estate Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, Oregon
- Amuse: Pork Rillettes with Olive Oil Powder on a Pancetta Chip
Wine pairing: 2008 Elk Cove Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, Oregon
- First: Bouillabaisse: Crispy Pork Belly, Smoked Mussels, Tomato Saffron Purée, Braised Fennel, Seared Tuna and a saffron aioli
Wine pairing: 2009 Cameron ‘Cameroni della Colline Rosse Giovanni’ Vigna Pinot Bianco, Oregon
- Second: Boudin Rouge: Pork Blood and Rice Sausage Poached in Pinot Noir served with Sauce Charcuterie
Wine pairing: 2007 Grochau Cellars Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon
- Third: Grilled Boar Chop, Rosemary Baby Potatoes, Roasted Chanterelles
Wine pairing: 2007 J Christopher ‘Dundee Hills Cuvee’ Unfiltered Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills, Oregon
- Intermezzo: Pinot Gris Gelée, Pinot Meunier Granite and Champagne Caviar
- Entrée: Pinot Noir and Cherry Braised Pork Cheeks, Charred Frisée, Tobacco Smoked Cipollini Onions
Wine pairing: 2006 Coeur de Terre ‘Renelle’s Block’ Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon
- Dessert: Raspberries in Phyllo with Raspberry Sorbet, Chantilly Cream and Bacon Powder
Wine pairing: NV Michelle Arnauld Grand Cru Brut Rose
Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 7:00 p.m.
Jackson 20: 480 King Street, Alexandria , VA 22314 TEL: 703-842-2790
Cost for the dinner is $85 per person, excluding tax and gratuity.