Fragrances are an easy way to feel revived, beautiful, and confident with one easy spray. It is important to find a scent that suits you and your personal needs. Follow these tips to educate yourself to find the perfect fragrance!
1. Understand the Labels
Ever wondered why fragrances are called Parfumes, Eau de Parfum, or Eau de Toilette? Well long story short, it has to do with the oil concentration in the perfume’s formula. The two biggest differences between Parfum, EDP, and EDT are the cost and the strength of the fragrance as seen below:
- Parfum: $$$
- EDP: $$
- EDT: $
- Parfum: 5 Hours
- EDP: 3-5 Hours
- EDT: 3 Hours
(*The cost and strength will vary depending on each fragrance)
2. Know Which Fragrance Family You Want
Fragrance scents are broken up into four fragrance families: oriental, woody, fresh, and floral. Knowing which one you are drawn to will help narrow the search. Here are some simple ways to describe each:
- Oriental: dramatic and heavy
- Floral: romance and sensuality
- Woody: dry and warm
- Fresh: clean and refreshing
3. Fragrance Notes, What to Expect from Your Scent:
Have you ever walked into a store, found a perfume you love, but four hours later discover that your wrist smells completely different than the initial spray? This is because perfumes are designed to have layers, or notes, which are described below:
- Top Note: The smell that comes with the initial spray.
- Middle Note: The smell comes through once the top notes wear off a little. This is where the true scent of the fragrance comes through.
- Base Note: Comes up after 30 minutes to one hour.
Testing out all the notes of a fragrance will ensure that its worth the money! Want to hurry up the testing process? Spray fragrance on inner elbow because this will allow your own skin’s smell to interact with the fragrance quicker.
4. A Few Fragrances This Examiner is Loving Right Now:
- Daisy by Marc Jacobs: A floral fragrance family member with a unique mixture of floral scents that you can wear year round, night or day
- Flower Princess by Vera Wang: A light, floral fragrance perfect for daytime wear.
- Carmella by Benefit: If you love the scent of vanilla, you’ll love this sexy oriental perfume.
- Light Blue by D&G: A floral fragrance that lives up to its name with a truly light scent.
- Lola by Marc Jacobs: Not only is the bottle beautiful, the floral perfume’s mixture of pink peppercorn, red grapefruit, pear d’ Anjou and fuchsia.
So just follow these easy steps and go find a perfect scent for Fall!