Lady Gaga, who won eight VMAs at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles Sept. 12, 2010, says she meant no disrespect to vegetarians in donning the ghastly red meat dress while accepting her award for Video of the Year.
“It is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian,” Gaga said on the Ellen DeGeneres Show Sept. 12 following the VMAs.
“As you know, I am the most judgment-free human being on the earth,” she said. “However, it has many interpretations, but for me this evening, if we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights, pretty soon we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. And I am not a piece of meat.”
On Sept. 7, Gaga, 24, drew fire from PETA after appearing on the Sept. 2010 cover of Men’s Vogue Japan sporting a garish meat bikini.
DRESS MADE WITH REAL MEAT
Meanwhile, Franc Fernandez, the meat dress designer, says Gaga’s VMAs outfit was “indeed real meat from my family butcher.”
The outfit was accessorized by meat boots, a meat hat and a meat purse that she asked presenter Cher to hold when giving her acceptance speech.
Gaga, who doesn’t mind stirring controversy with her outfits or her statements, says she wore the dramatic meat dress because she didn’t want to disappoint her fans by being “just another b*tch in a dress at an awards show.
Gaga says the meat dress was tied in to her decision to walk the white carpet with some gay and lesbian members of the military in order to voice her distaste for the U.S. military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
Meanwhile, Gaga ruled the 2010 Video Music Awards, winning 8 Moon Men, including Video of the Year for her smash hit Bad Romance.
See related news:
- Yuck! Lady Gaga’s VMA meat dress made from real meat, says designer (photos)
- Justin Bieber wins Best New Artist VMA, shows off mad dance skills (video)
- Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber rock white carpet at MTV Video Music Awards (pics)
- Angelina Jolie: Vegan diet left me weak and malnourished
- Breaking Dawn childbirth scene will be ‘visceral and intense,’ says writer
- Audrina Patridge: DWTS rehearsals are toning my legs and calves
- Khloe Kardashian slams Kim for getting Botox: ‘You’re so stupid!’
- Lady Gaga dons garish raw meat bikini for Men’s Vogue cover
- Justin Bieber wanted to be pro hockey player before becoming pop star