In the past few weeks I have had the same conversation with three very dynamic and attractive people. The same thing with all of them: they are single, living in Kansas City and want to date, yet haven’t attempted online dating. Why!? What is this stigma with online dating? I thought it was a thing of the past.
Here it is folks; my resource for you, to setting up your online Kansas City dating profile in 10 easy steps:
1. Plenty of fish. Hands-down, without a doubt Plenty of Fish is the online dating website I would recommend. And no, I’m not getting paid from them but, Hello Plenty of Fish I will take payment!!
2. Create a solid yet classy username. My username was lilcheercoach which, back in the day I was coaching a cheer squad so it was appropriate. Yet, looking back on it, lilcheercoach attracted some wierdos. I wouldn’t recommend “crazycatlady” for a screen name either.
3. Have a friend take a really good photo of you. An updated photo is important. I cannot tell you how big of a turn-off it is to realize the guy or girl posted their senior picture. And they’re 35. C’mon folks!
4. Have a handful of pictures ready to download to your profile. Don’t post a swimming suit picture. That screams “I’m trying too hard”. Also, don’t post pictures doing shots or with beer bottles in your hand. That screams “you can find me wasted at P&L any night!” Pictures showing your different sides are a good idea. My husband, when I saw his profile over a year ago, had 5-7 pictures of different sides of him. The goofy, the sweet, the rugged and the dressy.
5. Create a profile. Good example: “I work in the legal field so don’t want to date a lawyer; I don’t have children but you can; I have a dog and he sleeps inside you have to be okay with that cause that’s not gonna change; I go to church on Christmas and Easter but would love it if you went more often”…you get the picture. Bad example: “I party with my girlfriends every weekend at Mosaic. You can find me in the VIP section. But dont even think you’re gonna approach me unless you make six figures.”…again, you get the picture.
6. Be picky. On POF you can weed out the type you wont date. For example, I filtered my potentials by “no children” “never been married” “Catholic” “at least bachelor’s degree” etc. Think about it, there are thousands of people on POF you can afford to be picky and meet your dream guy/girl. Be picky about geographical location as well. Think realistically – you live in Kansas City therefore how apt are you to make a relationship work with a girl in New Mexico?
7. Look! Look! Look! On POF you can tell if someone has “viewed you”. View people! View all the hotties you want to view! Remember they will know you viewed them, but that’s ok!
8. Draw the Line. If someone sends you a message and you know right off the bat you aren’t interested, just don’t respond. I did this and I had this done to me. If you’ve talked with someone a handful of times on the site and decide you’re no longer interested, stop the messaging. You don’t owe anyone anything when you haven’t even met yet!
9. Don’t wait too long to meet. If you think you’re interested, you’ve messaged for a few days – meet them. Do NOT let yourself get attached to the “idea” of someone when they may be blowing smoke up your arse.
10. First date should be an hour tops! Meet for lunch or coffee. ALWAYS have an out .