You know Lexington Kentucky is the Horse Capital Of The World because you can’t turn a corner without running into horsey this or horsey that! And Horse Mania 2010 is a perfect example.
They’re on every corner!
Horse Mania is a citywide display of over 80 fiberglass horses that have been creatively decorated by local artists.
The concept was developed in 2000 by LexArts, a non-profit community organization that promotes art projects and programs throughout central Kentucky.
They auctioned off the horses at the end of the year and it turned out to be the most successful project LexArts had ever done, generating over $750,000 in sales.
The original Horse Mania captured the city’s imagination and was so endearing to the hearts of Lexingtonians and visitors alike, that it was voted “Best Outdoor Art in Lexington” by ACE Weekly in 2008 – a full eight years later!
When Horse mania 2010 was announced last year, sponsors were jumping at the chance to be part of it and artists lined up to lobby for an invitation early on.
Considering the success of the original event and the fact that the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games are coming to town in September, LexArts hopes to do even better this year.
It’s a great event from every aspect. The art is fantastic, fanciful, creative, funny in many ways and eye-catching.
If you consider that there may be up to 500,000 extra horse enthusiasts around town for a month, it could capture the hearts of world horse lovers too.
One other aspect to consider.
Finding the horses is great adventure. Here’s the treasure map to their locations. Go by yourself, take the girlfriend, the wife or the kids. It’s enjoyment that spans generations.
Make sure you look at the attached slideshow that’s presented here for examples to whet your appetite.
This year, the Horse Mania auction will be held at Keeneland on December 11, 2010. Watch for the results.
* Enjoy this article? Click the Subscribe button above to be notified when this writer posts something new
– 2010 FEI World Equestrian Games begin in Lexington September 25th
– Get your tickets here – the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Lexington
– Why not American Riding Style in the World Equestrian Games?
– Exploring Historic Lexington Kentucky by bike
– Discover the unexpected history of fine wine in Kentucky
– Divine wine within easy grasp of Lexington
– What to do if you get stuck in the Lexington Bluegrass Airport for a few hours
– The Amazing Castles of Lexington
– The Food Network’s Giada de Laurentiis comes to Lexington October 23
– Top 5 romantic choices for dining in Lexington
– Lexington’s Farmer’s Market… a taste of home
– Touring Historic Lexington – free and easy