If, in spite of all your preventative efforts, you or your man contracted the flu, there is a very real risk of it developing into the dreaded Man Flu. Women are often spared from this terrible complication, and many men never have it. But for some men (and women), regular flu – and sometimes even colds – can deteriorate rapidly into Man Flu.
You will know it is Man Flu if there is an excessive amount of whining, irritability, and complaining with no other visible symptoms of flu worsening (obviously if symptoms are worse, your poor man really is sick and should not be teased about Man Flu). If your partner develops Man Flu, here’s what you should know.
- You need to provide plenty of pillows and blankets and any other soft comfy thing he asks you for.
- There should be a full stock of cold and flu meds in the house. He doesn’t care if you have to go to every pharmacy in the state, get on a watch list, and have your driver’s license pulled – he wants pseudoephedrine and he wants it now.
- Tissues. Nothing worse than having a runny nose and nothing in which to blow. And besides, the CDC advises people to cough into a tissue to avoid spreading the flu virus – and heaven knows you don’t want man flu.
- Reading material — this may include the latest best seller, his favorite magazines, and puzzle books. If you provide puzzle books, don’t forget to add pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, and pens. And White Out. Cover your bases!
- Don’t forget the remotes. For the PS3, the TV, the DVR, the stereo system, the Xbox 360, the Wii, and anything else he might need a remote for … and if you ever loved him … I mean really loved him … you’d better have backup batteries for all of them.
- Prepare to drop everything at the drop of a hat to provide snuggles. Girl, he might be dying here, and if you don’t provide him the proper amount of physical affection, you’ll regret it forever. The trash can wait — even if the trash truck is at the curb.
- Drinks and snacks. He must keep his strength up. But just in case, make sure there are plenty of bland options in there, like chicken soup cups, 7-up or Sprite, and saltines. And maybe an Imo’s menu and the phone.
- Bucket or trash can. Hey – you gave him the Imo’s menu, what did you expect would happen?
All joking aside, even if your man is the biggest baby in the world when he’s sick, give him a little bit of extra loving care. No one enjoys being sick, and it’s only for a week to ten days. If the flu lasts longer than that, it’s a good idea to seek medical attention, particularly if the fever continues or there is vomiting or dehydration involved.
If you enjoyed this article, please subscribe (it’s completely anonymous) by using the subscribe button at the top of the screen. You will receive an email every time a new article is published.