The Texas Rangers defeated the New York Yankees by a score of 10-3 in Game 4 of the ALCS. The Rangers now find themselves one win away from the first World Series in franchise history.
Texas starting pitcher Tommy Hunter gave up three earned runs in only 3.1 innings of action but the Rangers bullpen did something they had not done in the playoffs yet this postseason. They came in, buckled down and pitched two-hit ball for the remainder of the game to shut down the Yankees offense.
If the Yankees can’t score points, they won’t beat the Texas Rangers. In the first four games in this series, the Texas Rangers have supplanted the Yankees as the so-called “Bombers.”
ALDS star Ian Kinsler has fallen off slightly in the ALCS but Nelson Cruz has continued to hit and AL batting champion Josh Hamilton has cranked it up against New York. Cruz hit one home run and drove in two RBIs while Josh Hamilton hit two home runs.
The Yankees took a 3-2 lead in the fourth and Texas pulled Hanson, who lost his last start to Tampa Bay. Derek Holland came in and shut down the Yankees hitters.
Texas took the lead in the sixth and never looked back. Burnett, with Nelson Cruz on second, intentionally walked David Murphy, who hit a home run in Game 3 of the series. Bengie Molina came up to the plate and hit a three-run home run to put Texas up 5-3.
Hamilton hit his first home run of the game in the seventh inning and, three batters later, Ian Kinsler scored Nelson Cruz on a single. In the top of the ninth, Hamilton hit his second home run and, two batters later, Nelson Cruz hit a two-run homer and the game was over.
Texas has scored nine runs in the final inning of the past two games.
For the Yankees, Derek Jeter hit a double and a triple and Robinson Cano hit his fifth home run of the postseason.
Texas and New York play Game 5 on Wednesday afternoon. The Yankees will be without Mark Tiexiera for the remainder of the postseason after he strained his right hamstring in the fifth inning.
CC Sabathia will take the mound for New York and C.J. Wilson will start for Texas. The Yankees won the Game 1 matchup between the two pitchers despite Wilson only giving up 3-runs in six innings while Sabathia was pulled after four after giving up 5-runs.
Fantasy Baseball Stats (total postseason numbers in parentheses)
- Nelson Cruz: 1 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K = 12 (54)
- Josh Hamilton: 2 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, = 16 (50)
- Ian Kinsler: 1 1B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB = 3 (49)
- Bengie Molina: 2 1B, 1 HR, 2 R, 3 RBI = 16 (36)
- Elvis Andrus: 1 1B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB = 3 (31)
- Michael Young: 1 1B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K = 3 (25)
- Mitch Moreland: DNP = (22)
- David Murphy: 2 R, 3 BB, 1 K = 6 (22)
- Vladamir Guerrero: 3 1B, 1 2B, 1 R, 1 K = 6 (13)
- Matt Treanor: DNP = (6)
- Jeff Francoeur: DNP = (5)
- Julio Borbon: 1 R = (3)
- Jorge Cantu: DNP = (-3)
- Cliff Lee: DNP = (72.5)
- CJ Wilson: DNP = (23.825)
- Colby Lewis: DNP = (20.65)
- Derek Holland: 1 W, 3.2 IP, 3 K, 2 BB = (19)
- Tommy Hunter: 3.1 IP, 3 ER, 5 K = (9.325)
- Darren Oliver: 1.2 IP, 1 S = (8.575)
- Neftali Feliz: DNP = (3.825)
- Darren O’Day: 0.1 IP, 1 K, 1 BB = (3.15)
- Alexi Ogando: DNP = (-0.675)
- Dustin Nippert: DNP = (-1.25)
- Clay Rapada: 1 BB = (-1.425)
NEW YORK YANKEES
- Robinson Cano: 1 1B, 1 HR, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K = (46)
- Curtis Granderson: 1 1B, 1 RBI, 2 BB = (25)
- Nick Swisher: 2 K = (17)
- Mark Teixeira: 1 K = (17)
- Lance Berkman: 1 1B, 1 K = (17)
- Alex Rodriguez: 1 R, 1 BB = (15)
- Derek Jeter: 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 R = (15)
- Brett Gardner: 1 1B, 1 RBI, 1 K = (12)
- Marcus Thames: 1 K = (10)
- Jorge Posada: 1 K = (5)
- Francisco Carvelli: 1 K = (-1)
- Mariano Rivera: DNP = (23.075)
- Andy Pettitte: DNP = (21)
- Phil Hughes: DNP = (15)
- Dustin Moseley: DNP = (13.5)
- CC Sabathia: DNP = (11)
- Kerry Wood: DNP = (3.75)
- Joba Chamberlain: 1.1 IP, 1 ER, 1 K, 1 BB = (1.325)
- David Robertson: 0.2 IP, 1 K = (0.65)
- A.J. Burnett 1 L, 6 IP, 5 ER, 4 K, 3 BB = (0)
- Boone Logan: 1 ER = (-0.6)
- Sergio Mitre: 1 IP, 3 ER, 1 BB = (-1.85)
Make sure to subscribe to me using the button at the top of the page to get Fantasy Baseball news as soon as it is hits.
- Make sure to follow me on Facebook
- Make sure to follow me on Twitter
- Make sure to follow me on Digg
- Check out my recent articles covering The Oklahoma Sooners
- Check out my recent articles covering Pop Culture News
- Check out my recent articles covering National College Basketball