It’s a good idea to get the older kids involved in helping out with crafting some Halloween decorations for the house or for a Halloween party. If its simplicity you are looking for then here are some great suggestions on easy Halloween crafts for the school age kids.
This craft decoration will be sure to scare up a few party goers or trick-or-treaters. Here is all they need to make this Spooky Glowing Ghost.
- White round balloons
- Black marker
- Cheese cloth(transparent cloth) cut to lengths of a yard
- Glow sticks (preferably green)
- Activate a glow stick and insert it into a balloon.
- Blow the balloon up and tie the knot.
- Position the tied end at the top and draw scary eyes and mouth for your ghost on the balloon.
- Take the cheesecloth and drape over the balloon.
- Cut a small hole in the top of the cloth and push the balloon knot through the fabric.
- Tie a string around the knot and hang out in the breeze.
To make interesting Spider Candy Holders that would be great for party favors you’ll need, for each holder:
- 9”paper plate
- 4 black pipe cleaners
- 3-36” pieces of green yarn
- Black, white and light green acrylic paint
- 3” x 5” piece of orange construction paper
- Black marker
- White craft glue
- First you will need to paint the plate black. You can do this ahead of time to have ready for the kids to put together.
- Fold the plate in half and cut along the crease.
- Glue the rounded edges together leaving open the side that was cut. This is the part you will fill.
- Set 2 of the pipe cleaners aside and take the remaining ones and bend each end 1 inch. Bend one end to the right and the other end to the left.
- For the other 2 pipe cleaners bend one end 1 inch and the other end 2 inches on each one.
- With the pocket facing you, glue 3 legs on the underside to the right with the bends facing outward. Then take the other 3 and glue to the left underside with the bends facing outward on that side.
- Now take 1 of the remaining 2 pipe cleaners and glue the 2 inch bend about 1/3 of the way from the left to the underside and do the same with the last one on the other side. The leg bends should be facing toward the center.
- You can make the eyes out of white construction paper or paint them in. Use a black marker to make the pupils.
- Glue the eyes to the body of your spider.
- Paint a green smile on your spider using wiggly lines if you wish.
- To make your handle line the 3 pieces of yarn up and tie them together at one end. Then braid the 3 strands together and tie a knot in the other end.
- Put some glue on the inside of the pocket on each end in the crease and glue your handle to the inside of the pocket on each end.
- Fill your spider with candy or other treats.
Your older children will love visiting The Ritz-Carlton in Clayton for the “Goblin Tea” event for kids the day before Halloween on October 30, 2010. There will be Halloween themed food such as Sand “Witches,” Deviled Egg Salad, Scared-Stiff Strawberry Cake, Spider Cookies, Mummy Cupcakes and more. There’s also cookie decorating and fortune telling. The cost is $13.50 for kids 12 and younger and $27 for adults. Call (314) 863-6300 for reservations.
If you like this article please subscribe by clicking on the subscribe button above. Everything is completely confidential and you will have the convenience of being notified by email whenever one of my articles is published.