Jon Stewart, America’s funny man who knows a thing or two about politics, is taking charge the weekend before Election Day for a “Rally to Restore Sanity” in Washington Mall. The Rally is not really pro one party over another, but more of a realistic approach to the current issues that many Americans face. Jon described his plans to his audience on “The Daily Show,” saying that real people with real problems can put partisanships aside and could “agree to try, and ultimately live with” the solutions to those problems. However, Stewart points out, majority of the problem lies in the fact that 70 to 80% of people who can look past partisanship, are also the Americans with the problems, who are too busy to rally against the other 20%. (CNN reports)
CNN agrees with Steward’s motives in their report of the Rally, saying that “media manipulation by professional partisans on both sides has become so predictable that satire has emerged as the last, best way to cut through the spin cycle.” Thus, where Stewart arrives as “the most trusted man in news,” and brings his Independent, or non-partisan, supporters along, to focus on the real issues without the usual political preference bickering.
Stewart is teaming up with social networks and other media outlets to spread the word for the rally. Since his announcement two weeks ago, Stewart has gained a promise from over 170,000 people to attend on his Facebook event page, which is described as, “Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement.” Rally to Restore Sanity is supposed to flesh out the conflict, tension, fear, and resentment, and bring forward resolutions to America’s simplest problems.
Also, this past Tuesday, September 28, Arianna Huffington from HuffPost promised to provide buses from New York to Washington for all of the NY folks who want to attend. Arianna vows to “work on the logistics” as long as Stewart continues spreading the message.
The Rally to Restore Sanity is due to take place on October 30, at Washington Mall. Click the link if you would like more information, or want to follow the Rally on Facebook or Twitter. And in case you missed it, be sure to check out Jon Stewart’s initial Rally announcement here, and Arianna Huffington’s appearance on The Daily Show, here.
Start Halloween activities early, and dress up as your favorite politician at Jon Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity. Take SoHo’s HuffPost bus to Washington D.C. and back, and make a difference in your life.