Usually the birthdays ending in zero trigger these thoughts of aging (except for 20 when everyone is excited to be nearly 21). There is a series of questions that the individual asks themselves and then they slowly start to panic. Case and point would be the feeling model Kim Kardashian experienced when nearing the age of thirty in an episode of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”. She indicated that she was getting old and cougar like. She went ahead and proceeded to get Botox. However, prevention is key and we need to make sure that we are implementing actions that will retard the aging process. It is never too early or too late to start, so do not panic.
Our bodies, depending on our lifestyles, could be older or younger than our actual age. Therefore we need to be mindful of our lifestyles since time will tell if we do not stay proactive. The following are suggestions that will lead you in the right path:
- Skin Assessment: There is plenty of skin analyzing technology to determine the state of your skin. This analysis can pinpoint sun damage as well as assess skin type (oily, dry, acne). This will enable you to determine what type of treatments or products will address your specific needs.
- Nutrition: Become conscious of what you put into your body by selecting healthy foods, especially whole foods which are not subject to tons of processing. Select natual colorful foods that will entice your tastebuds and increase your anti oxidants! Red cranberries, yellow bell peppers and olives mixed with spinach and spring mix would be a great lunch. Another example according to Webmd.com, “research shows that soy may help protect against or heal some of the sun’s photoaging damage. One study, published in the European Journal of Nutrition, reported that a soy-based supplement improved the skin’s structure and firmness after just six months”.
- Stress: Simplify and manage a less stressful lifestyle. If you have negativity in your live, change it. Identify your issues and seek to resolve it. If you are always in a rush, then watch a video on time management. If you have road rage, please don’t drive. Blast music while you shower, have a cup of tea, play sodoku….The point is to take control of how your personal environment can be improved.
- Exercise: Exercise is necessary to decrease stress and maintain a healthy body. It promotes circulation, prevents obesity and prevents the start of degenerative diseases.
- Sun exposure: Always wear sunscreen and avoid sun overexposure. I use to love to bake in the sun in order to get a Hawaiian tropic tan. Instead of sun block I used accelerators and at one time I even mixed it with soda! I learned the hard way, but now use caution.
- No Smoking: Smoking causes premature aging. It promotes pollutants to enter our system and destroy healthy cells which only leads to wrinkles and disease. Opt for healthier alternatives such as vaping.