Halloween is round the corner and all the preparations are on. Starting from costumes to candies and decorations, children are busy in gearing themselves up for the Halloween Celebration. Hence to give a bit of realistic touch to this most awaited event, here are the names of some of the compositions by various authors and the poets that might be well suited for the Halloween Celebration.
1) The Monkey’s Paw by W.W. Jacobs:( Grade 4-5) The theme is set on the grief and trauma of the parents of a young boy who dies in an accident. The real plot reveals the horror when the mother loses her sanity and ponders to bring her dead son back by making a wish with the help of a monkey’s paw. The events compiled after this is a pleasure to read and enjoy on a Halloween Night.
2) The Magic Pumpkin by Hilary Williamson:( Grade 1-3) Another treat for the kids on Halloween nights. A beautiful and traditional tale of two friends Kevin and Katie who treasured their friendship. Kevin’s dream of the Pumpkin Patch makes the book worth reading.
3) The Old Witch by The Brothers Grimm: (Grade 3-4) This scary piece reads more like a poem but after reading it does set the Halloween mood. A little girl entering the witch’s house and the witch in return turning her into a log and throwing her into the fire, will intoxicate the creepy atmosphere and sweep off the children from their real world to an unknown mysterious world.
4) Listeners by Walter De La Mare: (Grade 5) One of the best pieces in poetry in which the poet has painted the shades of mystery with the arrival of a traveler to a haunted old mansion. What follows after this are the series of events that makes the traveler imagine that there are ears listening to his calls.
5) The Lake by Edgar Allan Poe: (Grade 5): This is probably one of the best compositions of Allan Poe where he gets inspired by the loneliness and the solitude of the lake. The style used to compose the poem and the words and phrases adopted to write out this poem, does leave a creepy feeling in the mind of the readers.
6) Vasilissa, The Beautiful by Alexander Afanasyev: (Grade 3-4). Baba Yaga, the witch was the creation of the Russian mythology and was introduced by this author in most of his works. One of the best volumes of such interesting character was Vasilissa, The Beautiful, who had a magic doll and goes to Baba Yaga to fetch some light. A hilarious story that has a lot in store for the children to make their Halloween fun and entertaining.
Hence Halloween celebration can be no better without such stories that are perfectly blended with mysterious and spooky elements that brings about creepy feelings as well as amusement at the same time. A complete Halloween Celebration will be with these scary yet interesting and thought provoking tales.