The Detroit Zoo is celebrating the Halloween season by offering trick-or-treating, Halloween-themed games, a hay maze, and costume contest, as well as much more, at their annual Zoo Boo. The event takes place on weekend evenings from now until the end of October.
Who? This family-friendly event is presented by Meijer, and is also supported and sponsored by many area businesses including:
- Clear Channel radio stations (100.3 WNIC, 106.7 The BEAT, Mix 92.3, Channel 955 and FM98 WJLB)
- Pet Supplies “Plus”
- Blue Care Network of Michigan
- Tim Hortons
What? Zoo Boo features an festively decorated half-mile for trick-or-treaters through the front of the zoo. Candy will be passed out to children in costumes, as they make their way along the pumpkin-lined trail. Other Zoo Boo events include:
- The Haunted Reptile House, where friendly witches, vampires and other monsters have taken up residence for the Halloween season
- The Ghouly Games Tent, featuring Halloween-themed games, prizes, arts and crafts and a hay maze
- The popular live mini-musical “Zoo Boo Revue” will be performed in the Main Picnic Grove
- (New this year!) Zombie Zone, featuring ghastly games, spooky activities and pumpkin-carving demonstrations
- Tim Hortons’ costume contest, where kids can have their photo taken and posted on the Zoo’s website. The community will then vote and a Zoo-themed prize will be awarded for the best costume.
- (New this year!) The limited-release movie “The Curse of Skull Rock” at the Wild Adventure 3-D/4-D Theater in the Ford Education Center. (Additional $3 per person; under 2 yrs old are free.)
Where? The event will be held after normal hours at the Detroit Zoo, located at 8450 W. 10 Mile Rd, Royal Oak, MI 48067.
When? Zoo Boo will be held on the evenings of Oct. 15-17, 22-24 and 29-31, 2010, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., rain or shine.
- Time slots for Zoo Boo are 6 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. If a date and time slot is not sold out, a limited number of tickets may be available at the gate that day after 5 p.m.
How much? Advanced tickets for Zoo Boo can be purchased for $7/person (ages 2 and up) at Booth One at the front of the Detroit Zoo or online (click here for online tickets). A limited number of tickets may be available at the gate on the date of the event after 5pm for $10/person.