Probably the hottest culinary revolution in Lexington is the Hamburger. Lexington, being the home of UK -University of Kentucky, has always had a good selection of specialty burger joints. Lynagh’s (famous for 0-rounds,) Culvers, Backyard Burgers, Steak & Shake plus all the regular fast food burgers.
Things began to change in the Spring of 2007 when the Seattle specialty burger giant Red Robin Gormet Burgers built a signature shop in the new Brannon Crossing Center. Red Robin is really a burger restaurant. Bigger footprint, sit down dining, television, bar & fancy drinks and a whole menu of great hamburgers with endless fries.
5 Guys Burgers & Fries opened a store at 2467 Nicholasville Road in April of 2009 and the battle was on! 5 guys only does one thing. They make the best burger around and you can have it one of 250, 000 yes thousand ways! Real hand cut fries, fresh meat (they don’t even have a freezer in the store) and did I mention FREE salted in the shell peanuts? Hell go ahead and throw the shells on the floor.
Smashburger jumped into the ring with more than just burgers at 535 S. Upper Street in Aril 2010 and the Lexington crowd was reeling. Fans were over-running both hamburger joints and choosing up sides.
Then, in steps Hugh Jass Burgers within a block of Smashburger and right next to the popular UK hangout Tolly Ho. There was even a local rumor that Hugh Jass was evicting the HO and that caused a bigger stir in the community, but that’s another story.
Please enter the frey and let me know who has the Best Burger in Lexington.
Writer’s Pick – Hugh Jass Burgers. I’ve visited all these fine hamburger joints recently and Hugh Jass definitely gets my vote. The char grilled burger is bigger and it just tastes a lot better. The fresh cut fries are excellent (I hate frozen fries in all their varieties.) The – over a – footlong hotdog is great too.
* Enjoy this article? Click the Subscribe button above to be notified when this writer posts something new
– The Amazing Castles of Lexington
– The Food Network’s Giada de Laurentiis comes to Lexington October 23
– Top 5 romantic choices for dining in Lexington
– Lexington’s Farmer’s Market… a taste of home
– Horse Mania – alive and well in the World’s Horse Capital
– Touring Historic Lexington – free and easy
– Interesting places to go and things to see around Lexington Kentucky
– Kentucky and Bourbon – Don’t come to one without experiencing the other
– Chocolate – Feeding a serious addiction
– Lexington travel and the quest for the perfect Mexican appetizer
– Where’s all the French food in Lexington