Thursday is a special day for “Beverly Hills, 90210” and “90210” fans as the calendar will read “9/02/10.”
In honor of the cool date, or “90210 Day” as some are referring to it, fans plan to celebrate the iconic show.
“People are going to be dressing as their favorite original ‘90210’ cast member that day for parties and such,” reader Isaac C told USA Today Pop Candy blogger Whitney Matheson. “I know that I’m going to dress up like Steve Sanders!”
Some events planned to celebrate “90210 Day” include (some info courtesy of The Associated Press):
- The town of Beverly Hills, itself, is throwing a party hosted by Larry King. Singer Natasha Bedingfield is set to headline the event. Also, several stars of the CW’s “90210” are scheduled to attend, including Matt Lanter, Trevor Donovan, Ryan Eggold, and Michael Steger, according to this report.
- UPDATE: The CW Network will air an episode of the newer “90210,” which usually airs on Mondays. (A repeat of the season two finale, “Confessions,” is scheduled at 9 p.m. ET, according to CWTV.com).
- The Paley Center for Media in Los Angeles will screen old episodes.
- Sports and pop culture writer Bill Simmons, known as “the Sportsguy” on ESPN.com where he writes, is hosting a podcast devoted to “Beverly Hills, 90210.” Last week in his podcast, “The B.S. Report,” Simmons announced that he will hold a special Thursday and give out “90210 Awards” such as “biggest plot stretch ever.”
- The SweetWater Brewery in Atlanta (195 Ottley Drive Northeast in Atlanta) is hosting a “90210” theme party where everyone in costume will receive half off their entrance fee. Click here for more info.
SOAPnet already airs “Beverly Hills, 90210” daily, so it doesn’t look like they have anything special planned. Kind of a bummer because they throw marathons all of the time!
Kind of worth noting: There is a Facebook page for “International Beverly Hills 90210 Day;” however, the page doesn’t have much information and makes more references to “Saved By The Bell” (yeah, Tori Spelling and Tiffani Thiessen starred on both, but not sure if this site is a great source for anything). Besides, internationally, the calendar reads differently in other countries. Some countries celebrated February 9, 2010, as “90210 Day” since they address dates in this form: day-month-year.
So if you have a good scoop on “90210 Day” festivities, add them below in the comments. I’ve tried to gather as many as I could find. Also, share your thoughts on favorite characters, new show vs. old show, favorite episodes, favorite couples, etc. below. Let’s celebrate “90210 Day” together and share in our love of the show (old and new!)
Happy “90210 Day!” – The 90210 Examiner
Season three of “90210” kicks off on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 8 p.m. ET (NOTE: the show has moved to Mondays), on the CW network (click here for a sneak peek). Re-runs of “Beverly Hills, 90210,” air daily on SOAPnet, but not for too much longer as the network is scheduled to go off the air.
Follow the 90210 Examiner on Twitter and Facebook, and subscribe for e-mail alerts above. And stay with the 90210 Examiner for news about “Beverly Hills, 90210” and “90210,” as well as weekly recaps of the newer series.