Looking for something interesting and exciting to make for dinner tonight? Why not try your hand at a homemade pizza? Your family and dinner guests will be highly impressed at your ability to make pizza dough from scratch and everyone will enjoy the delicious results made from ingredients easily found in South Shore area grocery stores.
This pizza dough recipe makes either 1 pizza with very thick crust or two thinner crust pizzas. Total time needed from start to finish is approximately 1 hour including all preparation, rising, and baking time.
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
1 packet of yeast, such as Red Star, available at Pete’s Fresh Market, Jewel, or your local supermarket
1 and 1/2 cups of warm water
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil, available at Aldi for about $1.00
1/2 tsp dried oregano, available at Aldi for about $1.00
1/2 tsp garlic salt, available at Aldi for about $1.00
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
Pizza Sauce Ingredients:
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
(Or you can substitute your favorite spaghetti sauce or a jar of ready made pizza sauce)
Cheese, such as the Italian Blend available at Aldi
Your favorite meats, vegetables, etc. All meat must be fully cooked before being put on the pizza because the bake time is not long enough to cook the meat while the pizza bakes.
- Mix the yeast and sugar into the warm water and let sit until the yeast dissolves fully. This should take around 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic salt, and whole wheat flour and mix well.
- Gradually mix in as much of the white flour as possible using a spoon. When it becomes too hard to mix by spoon, begin to knead in the rest of the flour by hand, adding enough so that the dough is only slightly sticky.
- Remove dough from bowl, coat it lightly with cooking spray, then replace the dough, turning it over once so that it is completely coated in cooking spray. Then cover with a towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. For a thick crust pizza, coat one pizza pan with cooking spray, or coat 2 if you prefer a thinner crust. (If you do not have pizza pans, you can use a cookie sheet and make a rectangular pizza.)
- Remove dough from bowl and place in center of greased pan. Gently stretch and press the dough out and towards the edges of the pan until you have spread it evenly. If desired, you can make the edges a bit thicker than the center of the pizza.
- Cover with pizza sauce, your favorite toppings, and cheese.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until the crust is fully cooked and the cheese just begins to turn a golden brown in places.
As always, happy cooking and enjoy your meal!