In what may have been one of the most exciting week threes’s in quite some time, there was some major shakeups in the polls. Next week, the showcase game will be Alabama at Arkansas and that may separate the men from the boys. Until then, let’s enjoy the rankings and allow the debates to begin.
1. Boise State: All they do is beat everybody that stands in front of them and yesterday’s performance against Wyoming was no exception.
2. Alabama: How scared is the rest of the college football world that their Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is healthy and may be only be the second best running back on the team? Can you say Trent Richardson?
3. Ohio State: Terrelle Pryor and the Buckeyes have given the folks in Ohio every reason to forget the character of LeBron James and focus on college football. This team is a saving grace to the state of Ohio who was dealt a crushing blow by the antics of James. We may spell Heisman “Pryor.”
4. TCU: For those of you who don’t know Andy Dalton, he’s throwing touchdown passes against a team near you each and every week. How would the BCS feel is TCU was to play Boise St. for the national championship? The cowards of the BCS may have no choice if this season continues to play out like this.
5. Nebraska: Bo Pelini literally destroyed an NFL-type quarterback yesterday and the Cornhuskers are going to bring more than a reputation to the Big Ten, they will bring dominance.
6. Texas: As Gilbert matures this team will become a power. For those who didn’t know, this defense is highly underrated as they showed Texas Tech last night. UCLA better have a strong game plan in place.
7. Oregon: Despite the loss of their starting quarterback, the Ducks are the class of the PAC-10 and are looking for a BCS birth.
8. Oklahoma: The Sooners were pushed to the wire against Air Force but will find an easier time against the Butch Jones-led Cincinnati Bearcats.
9. Arkansas: Ryan Mallet is special and so is this team. Get ready for a showdown against number 2 Alabama as the world will watch the two most loyal NFL head coaches Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino go at it. Pig Suey!!!
10. Wisconsin: A blocked PAT and a game saving tackle to end the first half are making people think this is either a team of destiny or simply another overrated Big Ten team.
11. Utah: While this is a higher ranking than most pundits give the Utes, this team is for real and they continue to roll. Here’s to destroying the BCS once and for all.
12. South Carolina: Heisman may be spelled Lattimore if this keeps up. I know you’ve heard this one before but this kid is a star.
13. Stanford: Andrew has more than Luck at the QB position as Jim Harbaugh’s talent is making people forget his attitude.
14. Florida: Well, we learned once again that Florida is allowed to hit quarterback’s late. With that being said, a young Tennessee team gave Urban Meyer’s boys all that they can handle. I’d like to send a shout out to my old friend Michele Cappuccio who is a Gator lover despite being a Florida-import from New Jersey. Dear Mich, enjoy the rankings, the Gators will soon be gone but the good news is you won’t have to rearrange your New Years Day plans for their bowl game because they won’t be there.
15. Fresno State: While they received a scare in the first half, this is a team to be reckoned with and proudly holds the title of the “Original BCS Buster.”
16. LSU: Either Mississippi State is not as competitive as we believed or Les Miles has another powerhouse on his hands.
17. Michigan State: Truly the most courageous call I’ve seen since Sean Payton’s onside kick in the Super Bowl and nobody even cares about a phantom block in the back or that the play clock expired. Despite the bad calls, Mark Dantonio’s “Little Giants” was truly a call for the ages.
18. Arizona: A new power is emerging in the desert and Mike Stoops is making his family proud.
19. Michigan: Denard Robinson is the man however, for those of you who thought UMass was only known for producing NBA players such as Marcus Camby and Lou Roe, the team does play football and they scored 37 against Big Blue. Yikes…
20. Penn State: Not sure how good this team is just yet.
21. Auburn: Can you say lucky? Clemson is not quite ready to take the next step but Auburn caught some breaks.
22. Temple: Congrats to Al Golden for a big win at UCONN. The MAC Conference may be ready to overtake the Big East. Think about it.
23. Oregon State: Getting ready for a battle on the Smurf Turf. A test for Boise St. as the Beavers are always game.
24. Iowa: For those of you who stayed up late, Arizona extracted some revenge.
25. Miami: Getting ready for a Thursday night showdown at Pitt.