It keeps coming up over and over: How to NOT gain weight on a cruise. Today Donna from Orlando asks:
I have been on a weight loss journey and I am down almost 40 pounds. I want to keep on track with the exercise so I do not gain a lot of weight while on the cruise. Do you have any suggestions?
First of all, good for you Donna! I know how difficult that whole process can be.
Keeping up on the exercise is a big part of it and one that kind of slips away over the course of a cruise, even with the best of intentions. My wife has lost 75+ pounds so far and I have lost 40 so we are really into this topic. Trying to stay on our normal routine is probably the most effective effort we make while on a cruise.
Here are some other tips we have learned by going on cruises and staying on our normal routine:
- Skip the buffets and eat in the dining room if possible for all meals- We thought the buffets would be a good idea because we could portion our food. Not so much. The buffets were too tempting on items we don’t normally eat. Dining room much easier and it’s not too hard to find menus online that will give you a good idea of what your choices will be. The food comes to you portioned too.
- Take the stairs, not the elevator- that’s an old one but it works
- Take the long way home- no matter where your cabin is, walk the long way around to get there. Like if you are standing midship and your cabion is all the way aft, walk to the front of the ship first then back
- Walk for charity- They always have some sort of walk for something on the ship- do that
- Schedule room service- Ordering room service may be akin to snacking between meals but you can make that work for you. See next
- Eat 6 meals a day, not 3. Inbetween light meals in the dining room, schedule a small meal between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and dinner (3:30 tea time works) and one between dinner and bedtime. The idea is to keep your metabolism up and smaller, more frequent meals does that. We do this at home all the time.
I know how it is to be determined on this topic. With some planning you should not “blow it” on a cruise, there are just too many healthy alternatives.
Do you have questions about cruise vacations? Email them to Chris for prompt, accurate answers today.